Balcom Canyon is one of the climbs featured in the Tour de California each February. However, since
those guys are total studs,and we are pudgy old men (with the exception of HRH), we stay on the easy side of the hill.
This loop offers the pleasure of 8 miles of climbing (though nothing tough) and the reward that follows 8 miles of climbing. This is a very pleasant
back country ride that is perfect in the spring and summer months, but is miserable if the wind picks up at all. Not a Southern California Fall ride.
Start: At the corner of Walker and Harnell in Camarillo, California
- Head North on Walker to Temple (dead ends at Temple)
- L on Temple to Ponderosa
- R on Ponderosa to Las Posas Road
- R on Las Posas Road to Lewis (Somis) Road
- L on Lewis (Somis) Road to CA 118 (Los Angeles Ave)
- R on CA 118 to Balcom Canyon Road
- A very CAREFUL L on Balcom Canyon Road and settle in for a long up incline
After a while of climbing you'll go past the dog kennel and have a short-steep incline afterwhich you get to go down for a bit.
During the decent you'll see a sign for R turn to Balcom Canyon....Ignore IT! Go straight and the road becomes Bradley Road.
- a couple of short climbs on Bradley and then a real long decent (time to give all the altitude you gained back) to CA 118
- L on CA 118 to North Street
- R on North Street to far side of Somis School and turn R
- Pass the Baseball Fields and Church and follow the crappy road back to Somis Road
- R on Somis Road to Adolfo
- R on Adolfo and take the first L (Marco)
- Marco to Stiles
- R on Stiles to Eston St
- L on Eston to the bike path past the Tennis Courts
- Cut through the park to the pool parking lot back out to Temple Ave
- L on Temple to Walker
- R on Walker and enjoy the coast on home